Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Pregnancy Police - Bowling

Tomorrow we are having a Finance outing in which we will be bowling. (This is very typical of Finance people --I don't know why). So of course for the last 3 weeks or so, all I have heard is, "can you bowl?" My simple answer has been, yes, I can lift up to 25lbs, why not a bowling ball?

I know my body and I have continued to make safe decisions for the last 7 1/2 months for me and the baby. If women can train for marathons when they're pregnant, I can throw a 10 lb bowling ball down a lane for an hour or so!!

Then today, another co-worker is talking about the outing and says "well of course you're not bowling!" So I told her, yes I am planning to bowl. She mentions that another co-worker in her department was told by her doctor that she wasn't allowed to and she's not even as far along as I am. At this point the rest of my co-workers in the discussion begin to voice similar concerns.

Okay, fine, fine, I'll call my doctor. So I did, and guess what he said? "Yep, you can bowl!"

I just wish being pregnant didn't mean justifying the decisions I make on a daily basis.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Well, I certainly can't bowl - but it is a skill thing, not a pregnancy thing.

That is just silly! If I can fall down the stairs without hurting the baby, throwing a bowling ball shouldn't be a problem.