Wednesday, December 9, 2009

34 Week Doctor Appointment

Another run-down of my latest appointment. Again, things are going very well, so it was a quick one!

Weight: up 1 lb for total gain of 31 lbs.
Blood Pressure: nurse didn't say, but they said it was great
Heartbeat: 140
Fundal Height: 34.5 cm -- still right on track, yay!
Questions:
He asked how I was doing & I gave him the same, doing great! I did mention that Brody's movements seemed to have changed slightly (I had a couple days where he was on the quiet side) but that it seems just like he's running out of room. Dr asked if I was having at least 10 movements per day? Per day? Definitely. He moves more than that when I'm ready to go to bed. I'm lucky that he's such a mover.

Since I know i'm getting closer to that delivery day, I wanted to ask him a few questions about when to come into the hospital etc.
When to call the dr: Call with any problems or trauma etc. But if I'm having contractions, call the doctors office during the day. He also said at my 36 week appointment I'll get his home number so I can call him if it's after hours. I thought that was pretty generous.

When to come into the hospital once in labor: He said whenever I am comfortable, but once contractions are about 5 minutes apart for a full hour we should definitely come in.

Induction: If I have a favorable cervix (he gave a certain centimeters dialted & % effaced) then he will induce at any point after my due date, if I want him to. If my cervix is still pretty closed, he will let me go 10 days after my due date. This reduces the rate of "failed inductions." Obviously his goal is to not try to make my body do something it's not ready for. All totally reasonable to me. I especially like the idea that if I am favorable, I can schedule an induction within a few days of being overdue.

Winter weather: Then on his way out, he gave me a quick lecture. It was kinda funny, but just something I'm sure he does with everyone (he doesn't even know what a clutz I am!) But he just said, make sure I walk slow in the winter weather & take small steps. If I fall & land anywhere on my stomach I should give them a call.

Next appointment: Starts my weekly appointments. He will do an internal exam to see if I've started dialating. They also do a group B strep test to see if I am carrying the bacteria. If I do, they will have to administer antibiotics during delivery. Other than that, it didn't sound like a big deal, but I can learn more if for some reason I fall in that category.

Plus, our next appointment is the week of Christmas...yay!!

1 comment:

Tina said...

Ahhh-it's so close! Glad to hear everything is going so well!