Thursday, October 25, 2012

1 month dr appointment

Aedan's 1 month check-up was yesterday and overall it was good, but we did have a list of things of things to review with him.

As I mentioned in his 1 month post, he weighs 10lbs 11.5oz and is almost 23 inches.  That's almost 1 pound gained since his 2 week appointment.  He also weighs more than Brody did at a month by 10oz.  My little chunker!

Other items covered:

1. Dairy Allergy - We went over all the symptoms we saw from Aedan once I introduced a little cheese into my diet.  The pediatrician agreed that it sounded like dairy allergy, though he was as surprised as us that Aedan reacted as quickly as he did.  He was sympathetic to how annoying not eating dairy is, but re-iterated that as long as I can hang in there, breastfeeding is the best thing for Aedan right now.  However, when/if we need formula, Nutramigen is our next step.  It's hypoallergenic formula that worked great for Brody, so hopefully it would work just as well for Aedan when the time comes.

2. Reflux - It's pretty typical for babies to have reflux because they're systems are still immature.  I described the reflux-type symptoms I was seeing from Aedan to get his advice if we should do anything.  Aedan arches his back almost everytime he's done eating, he grunts when he lays down after eating and it often sounds like it is bothering him, though he doesn't scream his head off or anything.  I also hear him spitting-up, but it just sits in the back of his throat and he gags on it a little.  This always freaks me out, so while I know he's okay, it worries me.  So he prescibed zantac and we'll give it a try for a month and see how it goes.




3. Other - Second Hepatitis shot (cried for a second and then quickly got over it), next appointment at 2 months (where he'll get a lot more shots), and quick reminder that Brody needs his flu shot.  Overall a good appointment and hoping that the medicine will make Aedan more comfortable. 

No comments: