Friday, November 11, 2011

Chatty Brody

"Between 18 and 20 months, his pace will pick up as he acquires ten or more new words each day. If he's especially focused on learning to talk, he can add a new word to his vocabulary every 90 minutes!" -BabyCenter.Com

As much as I was surprised to read this statistic, I am also not very surprised. Even though Brody is almost 22 months, this describes him perfectly. He constantly is saying new words that I had no idea he knew! Even when we're not intentionally teaching him a new word, he's learning it by listening to us.

Aside from the fact that I need to watch what I say (and do!), it's amazing watching him pick up every little thing. Somehow in the last couple of weeks Brody has learned the word "Coffee." So every morning he points to our cups and says, "Mama coffee/Dada coffee." And I swear we don't drink THAT much! Then we were out to dinner and he asked for our "fries." I think he gets fries at daycare, but he's never had them at home or out with us before. So I had no idea he even knew what those were! Guess I should probably start watching what I eat too...

He also likes to put ownership to everything. It's "Brody's milk", "Mama's coat" etc. He also generalizes certain things. Mommy and Daddy is universally applied to anyone that looks like a Mom or Dad....in books, at daycare, at the store... It's akward the first time your child points at a strange man and yells "Daddy!" I just keep repeating, "yep - that's one of your friend's dads" and hope one day he'll catch on.

1 comment:

MWGirl said...

One time, Jeff and I were out for dinner at a supper club and a toddler, about Brody's age, pointed to Jeff and with the biggest grin and super excited said: "DADDY!" Throughout the entire dinner he would not give it up. The parents laughed, we laughed...make jokes, etc. Reminded me of this.

Love reading your stories!