Monday, January 18, 2010

40 Week Dr Appointment

It was the appointment I hoped I'd never have to go to. 3 days past my due date, I had both a non-stress test (NST) & regular OB appointment.

NST
They set me up in a chair, hooked up two monitors to my belly and gave me juice to keep the baby moving. One monitor was to measure his heartbeat and the other was to measure contractions.

The goal was to measure his heartbeat during movement. If his heartbeat increases during movement, it is a good sign. Within a minute he was already moving and his heartbeat spiked accordingly. Within the first 10 minutes his heartrate spiked appropriately 3 or 4 times. They kept me on the machine for another 20 minutes but he ended up sleeping by the end of it.

The second monitor that measures contractions? It recorded a flat line...my uterus is doing nothing.

Appointment
Weight: down a pound, yay!
Blood Pressure: 120/70
Heartbeat: 150 range
Fundal Height: 40 (he hasn't stopped growing!)
Labor Progress: NONE!!
Next Appointment: Thursday for another NST and to check for any progress

Next we discussed induction. He said we could go ahead & schedule for 10 days past my due date (next Monday) or we could wait until after my appointment on Thursday. My appointment on Thursday is currently scheduled with another OB because mine is not in the office. So I opted to just schedule it right away today since I wouldn't be seeing him on Thursday.

Induction: Scheduled to start Sunday the 24th. They will start by trying to dialate me overnight & then start pitocin (to stimulate contactions) on Monday morning. If all goes well, Brody will be born on January 25th.

I'm still holding out hope that Brody will come before Monday. Inductions are not always the easiest and often can lead to C-Sections. I've heard about many successful inductions and many that didn't go very well. Ideally, i'd like my body to do what it needs to do on it's own.

However, based on my progress so far, I am not holding my breath. And at the very least, I know I will only be pregnant for one more week.

No comments: