Wednesday, September 23, 2009

24 Week Dr appointment

Yesterday I had my monthly doctor appointment. Although it was actually more like 3 weeks from my last appointment. We had to schedule this one earlier because we're going out of town this weekend. A weekend trip, even if it is only 5 hours away, warrants and extra trip to the doctor.

This was my first appointment without Jason. As they become more routine, I've told him that he doesn't have to attend all of them. I stand by my decision, however, I have to say I was a little bored without him! All went well and here's a rundown of my 20 minute appointment:

Weight: up 6 lbs....really?!? ick! My home scale tells me otherwise...so I'm going to live in denial for a bit.
Blood Pressure: Right on track
Heartbeat: Around 140
Fundal Height: This is a new measurement starting this week, which is based in centimeters from the pubic bone to the top of the uterus. He said average range is 1 cm per week of pregnancy give or take 2 cm. That puts me in the 22-26 cm range. I measured at 25 cm. Right on track!
Cervix: He only checked this because I will be out of town and he needs to make sure I'm not dialated. He said everything was good & closed!
Questions:
I asked about timing for birthing classes. He just recommended that I complete them by 34 weeks. I will be just a couple days past that if I sign up for the classes at our hospital. Which was reassuring because otherwise we'd have to take an "abbreviated" version - which means more self study. Honestly, I'm much better at classroom learning, so I am glad we're taking the 4 week class.

I also asked about kick counts. I've heard of them but don't know much about when you should worry about it. His answer was that I don't have to worry about consistent movement until 28 weeks and he won't recommend kick counts until 34 (or was it 36?) weeks. Obviously if there is an obvious decrease in movement, I should give him a call.

Next appointment: October 19th -- which I realized is right around when my one of my friends is due with her little girl! Time is flying by! Meeting her daughter is much more exciting than the Gestational Diabetes test I'll have to take that week.

4 comments:

Tina said...

I think I'm that friend you're referring to... :) And it totally made me laugh that you're more excited about meeting her than taking your test. (By the way, mine was not bad AT ALL - the books lied to me). And I wanted to tell you that I'm still jealous of your weight gain #s; sometime I'll have to tell you how much I gained in two consecutive monthly periods. It's WAY MORE than you. Besides, I'm sure you look great! When do we get belly pics? :)
Have a great vacation and say hi to baby for me!

Katie Grigg said...

TRIPLE DITTO on the belly pics. You're killing us Kel!

Kellie said...

I'm sooo bad at belly pics!! I've taken a few though, so I'll put them up here soon enough.

NYC RN/Student Midwife said...

Oooh I know about fetal kick counts! We just learned that today! It's starting around 34-36 weeks in low risk pregnancies.

Also the glucose test isn't so bad if you are fine after one hour. It's if you're borderline at one hour that you have to continue with the 2 and 3 hour (at least at the site I'm at)...so here's crossing your fingers!

ps I'm totally in the office right now during clinical so send questions my way! It helps me learn!!