Thursday, July 30, 2009

Babymoon


So I read about the "Babymoon" concept online and found it interesting. Basically, it's just a term for planning a vacation during pregnancy as sort of a last hurrah before having children. This seemed like a great idea & I'll use any excuse to plan a trip. However, as the pregnant half, I really think the trip should take place before trying to have a baby. Once you're pregnant, there are definite limitations.

If we had more money we would have gone somewhere further away, like Vegas, New York or to the Caribbean. But alas, I'm cheap and I figure I'd like to save every penny to take our future child on trips. So we planned a weekend away to Wisconsin Dells. Those who don't know, WI Dells is basically the "water park capital of the world."
So last weekend we stayed at Chula Vista Resort. I knew I wouldn't be able to do much in relation to the indoor/outdoor water park, but I read "lazy river" on the website, so I figured I was set! We drove up Friday night, checked into the hotel, got some ice cream at one of their many food places and walked around the resort to check out the water parks. Since I was in bed by about 10:00, I'd like to refer back to my comment above about taking a trip before having a baby!

Saturday we decided to do some water activities first. We quickly found that the outdoor park wasn't extensive and mostly geared towards younger kids. Inside though, we found a lot more slides and that lazy river I was looking for. After lazing around for awhile, we tried a couple water slides. I looked at them & said, that's the same as a slide at a park right? I can do that!

So the first one we went to looked pretty tame, until we realized halfway down that we were in one of those huge toilet bowl slides that swirls you around and around until you fall down the middle. As I was falling I figured maybe I shouldn't be doing this! Then I realized it was pretty smooth & less bumpy to the baby than the boat ride I was on a few weeks ago! But we only went on that one once.

We tried another slide that was much safer yet I was quickly realizing that sitting on a double tube with my 6'2" not so tiny husband behind me resulted in us going much faster than all those younger kids! So I went back to the lazy river.

We headed downtown for the rest of the day doing some mini-golfing (we tied the first game, I lost badly the second one), eating and exploring. We had dinner at the Kalahari resort which I've decided we'll stay at next time.

Sunday after checking out we decided to walk around downtown and do some shopping. We bought our future child some books that we loved when we were little -- so that was exciting! Then we headed back, leaving a little earlier than planned since one of our pups seems to be rebelling for us leaving so much.

All in all, we accomplished what we set out to do. Spend time together and relax. It was nice to ignore everything and everyone else for a weekend. And thanks to my great brother-in-law our fur-babies were well taken care of.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, we definitely did the babymoon thing - spent 2+ weeks in Europe when I was pregnant with Garrett...luckily it was nicely tucked into that brief window when I wasn't sick and yet wasn't yet huge. : )

We almost made it to the dells this summer...it was on our to-do list but got called off. One of these days!

Glad you had fun!

Kellie said...

I'm so jealous of your Europe trip!!

You should definitely make it to the Dells someday, your kids will love it. There's a lot to do.