Thursday, July 16, 2009

1st Trimester Summary

Since I started this blog at the beginning of my second trimester, I've been going backwards to fill in the details. So, I figured I'd also do a summary of my 1st 13 weeks. I am also starting a weekly checklist which I will keep up for the remainder of my pregnancy.

Summary:
I can't really complain about my first trimester. It's the shortest of all trimesters really, since most people don't even know they're pregnant until at least 4 weeks into it (and that's even early). I was exhausted from the beginning. Naps became standard on the weekends and bedtimes became earlier. Many nights I was asleep on the couch around 7, lugging myself upstairs around 8.

Nausea kicked in around 5 weeks and was constant. I worked to try to find any remedy possible, and discovered starbursts are great! They'll calm my stomach for a short while anyway. Lemonade and seabands (for motion sickness) worked as well, though not all the time. I consider myself lucky though, as I didn't get physically sick very often.

Food aversions definitely kicked in. They weren't predictable either. Many times at a restaurant I would order something that sounded good, but by the time it arrived, I couldn't eat it. I easily wasted at least $50 worth of food with this pattern. My recommendation: eat at home in the first trimester!

I don't believe I started having cravings yet, but certain food became staples in my diet. Keep in mind, the beginning is all about eating what you can, which isn't always what is healthiest. Foods of choice: hot dogs, macaroni & cheese, oatmeal creme pies, popcicles and cereal. There was one day though where I sent Jason to pick up the following: breadsticks from Rocky Roccoco's, chocolate milkshake from McDonald's and a butterfinger. Normally I wouldn't give in to my urges this way...but it was my birthday, so he obliged.

Weekly checklist:
How far along? 4-13 weeks
Total weight gain/loss: -2/+1...depends on time of day.
Maternity clothes? No but i've been using a Bella band and hair ties, both of which hold my unbuttoned pants up. The baby isn't that big and I haven't gained weight, yet I can't keep my pants up!
Sleep: Constantly!
Best moment this week: (Expanding to this trimester) Seeing the baby for the first time. It didn't seem real until then.
Food cravings: See notes above
Gender: Won't know for awhile...but figure with Jason's family history, it's probably a boy!
Labor Signs: Hopefully none for a long time!
What I miss: Waking up without feeling sick
What I am looking forward to: Second trimester: the grass always looks greener on the other side
Weekly Wisdom: Listening to your body when it tells you to sleep is important. The one night I got 6 hours of sleep was followed by the day I was the sickest and had to leave work early.
Milestones: First heartbeat, first ultrasound

No comments: