Thursday, July 14, 2011

Children Come First

I believe this is a phenomenon that happens with all mothers, we tend to put our children's needs before our own. However, I found that not only do I put Brody's needs before my own, but my choices for him are held to a higher standard than my own. Let me explain...

--When I was pregnant, I stopped drinking my daily lattes and cut down to one caffeinated beverage a day. Brody's health came before my addiction to caffeine. Despite the fact that I was able to survive with less caffeine for 9 months and it's clearly healthier for ME to cut back...it's just not enough motivation.

--I have never taken Brody outside for more than 5 minutes without putting sunscreen on him first. Yet I seem to forget every once and awhile to put it on myself. And I have the peeling skin to prove it.

--Vegetables with dinner? For Brody? Of course! Do I make enough for myself? Not always...

--I won't feed Brody take-out/drive-thru food, yet I'll eat it myself. We go out to dinner and Brody eats grilled chicken and broccoli and I'll order a breaded chicken sandwich.

I do try to take care of myself and know that I need to live a healthy lifestyle so that I can be around to watch Brody grow old. It's just a lot easier to make the right decisions for him than it is to make them for myself.

No comments: