Saturday, March 26, 2011

What I Wish for my Son...

This blog is generally about Brody. However, I still like to write about my non-Brody experiences from time to time. Who I am as a person both before and after Brody really shape the type of mother I am. And this past weekend as I was driving home from a really wonderful Friday night, I began dreaming about Brody's future and the types of friends that he will have someday...
Let me start by saying, I have truly amazing, wonderful friends that I never see often enough. Most of them live too far away to see on a regular basis. And even if they lived closer, we are all busy with babies, pets, houses and work. On top of that - I'm awful at staying in touch on the phone. Luckily one of my best friends is pretty good at calling me - otherwise I swear we'd never talk.

So last weekend she invited me to her house for a girls-night. It wasn't all of our girls, but the ones that live close enough to get together. It was perfect. It's great when you get together with the husbands, and children, but every once and awhile you need time with just the ladies.

And what did we do? We sang Karaoke. Yes - it sounds silly - but that is actually what we used to do when we were in high school! (Did I mention I've known these ladies for a very long time?) So we took a trip down memory lane and sang some really good and not-so-good songs.

As I drove home Saturday morning I thought about how lucky I am that no matter how often we get together - they're still the people I can tell anything to or sing stupid songs with and we'll still be friends.


As Brody grows up, I hope he's as lucky as I am to find good friends that stick with you for life.

3 comments:

MWGirl said...

Very sweet! I feel the same way. It is friends - especially of the girl variety - that really make my world at the ripe old age of 27. I've always had friends, but it wasn't until I moved to a new city without anyone that I learned the value of finding and having true ones...no matter what. Friends are essentials. And I wish them for all of our babies (furbabies?...ha).

And also, thank you for coming to my wedding. That, in and of itself, proves that even though we all can't talk or see each other every day anymore, it's the longevity and the familiarity that holds us all together. For that, I am thankful.

Love you guys!

Tina said...

So true, Kellie, so true!
I LOVE the last picture in your post - when was it taken? Everyone looks so happy!
Let's plan a playdate or a double date sans beans...FOR REAL! :)
I'm on SB this week and Aubrie and I are heading to a place in Sussex (I think) called something like "Your Big Backyard." Have you heard of it / been there? We're excited to go try it out.
And btw, I am TERRIBLE and calling people but totally appreciate when people call me (ahem, J!) to catch up, so don't feel bad. :)
Hope your trip was fun!

Kellie said...

The picture was taken the day after Caitlin's wedding, that's why Caitlin and Brett aren't in it.